Photo Fees and Guidelines
Submitting a Request
The MCHC has thousands of digital copies of historic photographs, archival material and artifacts. Submitting a request for a photograph is easy. Open the online catalog. Search for the item you want using one of the search options at the top of the page. When you find an item you’re interested in, click on the image of the item for a description and then click on the image again for a close up. On the close up image you will see an icon for “Request Image” on the bottom right. Fill out the Request Image form with your information and your photography order will be automatically forwarded to the Curatorial for processing. Please allow two weeks for your request to be processed.
Order Processing Time
We receive dozens of requests a day, so please allow two weeks to process your request. A rush service of 3-5 business days is available at the staff’s discretion. The rush processing flat fee is $20.00.
Photography Use and Fees
A fee schedule is listed below. Please indicate project details and intended use of the photographs on the Photography Request Form. Categories of use include the following:
- (P) Personal: Use in self-published documents, books, family newsletters, scrapbooks/memory books and genealogy research.
- (C) Commercial: Use in a profit-making venture (includes private individual).
- (NPC) Not-for-profit commercial: Commercial use by non-profit entities (proof of non-profit status, certified by the IRS is required), public broadcasters, accredited educational institutions and their departments (including academic presses), and government entities.
- (NPNC) Not-for-profit non-commercial: Use for purposes of research, teaching, classroom materials, power point presentations and student use.
Online Photograph Database
Our online database features a broad overview of materials available and housed in the Collections Department.
Purchasing: Purchasing photographs and archival materials is easy. Simply click on the image for a description of the item, click on the image again for a close up of the image and then on the “Request Image” icon left of the picture. Fill out the Request Image form with your information and your photography order will be automatically forwarded to the Collections Department for processing. Please allow two weeks for your request to be processed.
Order Pickup: You will be notified by email when a your CD copy of the requested digitized photography(s) are ready for pickup. Images will be sent after payment is confirmed. Payment may be made with cash, check or credit card ($5.00 minimum for credit card use). Checks should be made payable to the Monroe County History Center. Your order can be delivered in a variety of ways:
- USPS to the provided address for an additional $2.00 additional mailing and handling fee.
- Low resolution JPEG images emailed to a provided email address.
- High resolution TIFF files via a provided Dropbox address.
- On-site pickup at the MCHC front desk.
Conditions: All users of MCHC images, including accessioned photographs and scans of archival materials, requires a signed Photography Request Form stating in part:
- The MCHC will only grant permission to reproduce photographs or facsimiles of archival materials for one-time use in specifically approved projects. Additional reproduction requires written permission and possible assessment of additional licensing fees. The MCHC will not grant “perpetual rights.”
- Publication or display must credit the Monroe County History Center.
- If for publication, a gratis copy of work featuring MCHC photography and/or archival materials must be provided to MCHC.
- The MCHC reserves the right to refuse to duplicate items in our collections due to condition or restrictions imposed by donor agreements or law (including copyright).
- Creative work intended for advertising containing recognizable and distinctive elements from MCHC images will be charged the rate of $150.00 per image. Note: An image of a creative work used to promote sale of that or other works by an artist (e.g. gallery opening announcement) will not be assessed the advertising rate, provided the use of the imagery in the creative work itself has been authorized.
- Creative work intended for sale and merchandising containing recognizable and distinctive elements from MCHC images will be charged the rate of $150.00 per image. Examples include but are not limited to painting, quilt, print run, photograph, video or other creative work containing complete, recognizable visual elements or complete pattern and form reproduction in craft pieces.
Use Statement: The MCHC makes no warranties or representations and assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any claims against applicant or MCHC by artists, their agents, estates or by any parties in connection with the reproduction of works of art in the collections of the MCHC. The applicant agrees to indemnify the museum and hold it harmless against any and all such claims, including copyright infringements claims, royalty or fee demands and/or actions, including the costs thereof, arising as a result of the applicant’s reproduction of the works of art in the MCHC’s collections. Any and all royalty payments or other requirements specified by the copyright owner of such a work must be paid or honored by the publisher or agent requesting reproduction permission.
For more information or questions regarding the use of photographs or archival materials, please contact the Curatorial Department at 812-332-2517 ext. 6 or firstname.lastname@example.org.