Museum Hours: Tues-Sat 10am-4pm    (812) 332-2517JOIN & GIVE

Into the Lions’ Den

Blog post by Randi Richardson This sketch accompanied the circus announcement published in the Bloomington Evening World on July 26, 1924.  The caption under the sketch noted that the “biggest lion is the one that tried to kill the trainer and the smallest lion is the one that saved its master’s life.”  It was additionally

JUICY BOOTS

Blog post by Randi Richardson On May 9, 1883, the Bloomington Progress reported that a car load of old rubber boots had been gathered up over the past year and shipped to eastern cities as they were in great demand by the manufacturers of chewing gum.  The rubber was reportedly melted in large kettles and

Baptisms at the Reformed Presbyterian Church: 1838-1859

Blog post by Randi Richardson The Lilly Library at Indiana University, Bloomington, has a number of items relevant to the history of Monroe County.  Among those items is Session Book 2 for the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation at Bloomington.  This book covers the period from 1838 to 1860 and includes a list of baptisms from January

CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS: CO. 542, MONROE COUNTY, INDIANA

Blog post by Randi Richardson By the time the Civilian Conservation Corps program ended in 1942, some three million men, including more than 63,000 Hoosiers had worked in more than 2,000 camps throughout the 48 states and the U. S. possessions of Alaska, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.   There were 56 CCC companies in

X
X
X