June is Limestone Month in Monroe County Indiana and what an excellent time to remind everyone of the magnificent contributions the limestone industry has made to our county. For a list of events, see this calendar.
The MCHC Cemetery Committee is hosting two events:
- Limestone Heroes: A Tour of Rose Hill held June 7th [Cemetery Committee plans to sponsor this again in June 2016
- White Oak Cemetery Tour: The Monroe County History Center’s Cemetery Committee will be working at White Oak Cemetery (8th Street) on June 19th at 1:30-4:00 pm. Come learn the do’s and don’ts of tombstone repair. A tour will be given at 3p.m. Registration is not required.
Other Limestone Month events related to cemeteries include:
- History of Limestone Symbols @ Hamer Cemetery
- Traditional Arts Indiana–Matt Bruce and Casey Winningham: Limestone Carvers
- Traditional Arts Indiana–Limestone Weekend (at Spring Mill State Park) Saturday, June 20 through Sunday, June 21.
As a reminder to blog readers, the Cemetery Committee’s mission is to advocate for the restoration and preservation of the 311 cemeteries and related records located in Monroe County. It meets the 1st Thursday of every month to plan events and discuss issues related to cemetery preservation. Committee members also prepare information about these cemeteries. See the “Cemetery of the Month” page on our website or stop by the History Center to see the physical display.
The Committee works with Indiana’s Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology and the Association for Gravestone Studies to obtain awareness of recommended practices. The Committee works with the MCHC Research Library to maintain files for each cemetery in the library as well as other related cemetery records and maps. For more information contact any member of the committee through its webpage.
Post submitted by Lou Malcomb (Co-chair of Cemetery Committee 2015-16)